The Eventful History
of Unterwöger Hotel & Inn in Obertilliach – East Tyrol
The history of Unterwöger Hotel-Inn in Obertilliach dates back to the 18th century.
The inn in Obertilliach, East Tyrol, was erected in 1790 according to the construction plans presented by the erector of the church, master builder and priest Franz de Paula Benz.
Owner was the landlord zu Unterwöger of Obertilliach, Ignaz Peter Valtiner, who acquired the right to bear the house’s coat of arms.
Ignaz Peter Valtiner, well-known in East Tyrol and beyond as landlord and drover, acted as patriotic Tyrolean rifleman in the regions of Gailtal and Pustertal valley, during the Tyrolean Rebellion of 1809 led by Andreas Hofer against Napoleon.
After the French victory over Tyrol, Valtiner was executed with 12 other East Tyrolean riflemen by a French division under General Broussier.
The inn in Obertilliach passed by the hands of Rienzer family (1810-1921) and Salcher family (1921-1960) to Lugger family in 1960.
Eduard Lugger now owned the inn and renovated the building in 1965 and 1966 according to the directions of the Tyrolean Monuments Office. The inn reopened in March 1967 after completion of the works.
Since then the Unterwöger inn is managed year-round as family business with own farm and butcher shop.